Tuesday, September 26

Today I had my first photography and the book critique, which went well. I am going to improve my book for Thursday, but I am generally happy with its reception, etc. I worked pretty hard on it but could have worked harder and that is what I will do for thursday. The assignment was to make a book using only one photograph. So what I did was to make pages with text that got progressively smaller so that by the end the whole picture was revealed. The picture was that one from a few weeks ago of the chicago theater. The cover of my book was just some pieces of the bike map of Chicago. I'm going to re-do it to a) reprint the picture because this one got a smudge on it, b) type and print instead of hand-writing the pages and c) make a cloth/cardboard cover with the maps as an inner lining. Voila. Fabulous.

Today was also Plan intro critique, which also went fine. Someone in the class said they "hated" the pictures I threw in (just snapshots that I had on my hard drive which were in no way formal or anything other than some stuff I had lying around, my feelings were not hurt) but people whose opinions I value more said they really liked the pictures. Everyone pretty much liked the writing though... their problems with it were the same as my problems with it. Like, I don't have a thesis. I keep waiting for the thesis to reveal itself and it's like just not. I'm worried.

Then Dan and I sort of wasted the afternoon playing scrabble at the tea lounge in town. I say sort of wasted because it was really nice and I feel like I sort of deserved it. Why? See the first two paragraphs. He beat me. At scrabble.

And I had my first social committee meeting tonight, which was very productive. I'm quite optimistic that we are going to be a really good social committee. Plus, we allocated funds for "senior cocktail hour" which is a tradition begun by last year's seniors, wherein once a week we and our Plan sponsors get to chill out and have a few on the school's dime. Again, we basically deserve that. I volunteered to do all the shopping for "apple days" next week, which is a pretty sweet marlboro tradition. It should really be called "apple hours," but it's a fun fall festival with fallish activities like apple bobbing, donuts on strings, cider from the old press, hard cider from the store, and an apple pie bake-off. It's next week on WEDNESDAY which is ALSO THE PREMIER OF LOST! That is going to be SUCH an awesome day!!

And, finally, now I am at work. I am monitoring the computer lab. Lab status: three or four phantom paper jams which I was able to clear basically just by touching the thing, and pretty much nothing else. It is shockingly quiet. AWESOME.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I think of "Photography and the book Robert Frank's "The Americans" is the first thing that comes to mind. Also Larry Clark's "Tulsa" which leads into Ralph Gibson and his poetic trilogy "Days at Sea", whats it and the third one -- Sleepwalking? or something. Also "Wisconsin Death Trip" which is a kind of gonzo-anthropology.